Got a fear of the unknown?
These quotes about the fear of the unknown will inspire you to break through that barrier and boldly go to places that you’ve been scared to go to.
It seems that the fear of the unknown can follow us around from our youngest days.
We fear the dark when we’re children because we fear what might be there that we can’t see.
We might fear starting school for the first time because we’ve never been before and we don’t know what to expect.
As we get older, we learn to fear starting new jobs, moving to new places, and basically anything that involves something we aren’t familiar with.
The only problem is that in order to grow and in order to gain new life experiences, we have to learn new things and push through the unknown to make it, well, known.
If you want to conquer your fears of the unknown, check out the “Fear is a Choice” book which offers great insights into conquering those fears.
These scared of the unknown quotes are all about this idea that fear of the unknown stop us from living the lives we should and keep us trapped in our little boxes of our comfort zone.
And sure, our comfort zone might be the right place for us at times.
If we’re really struggling in our life, having a familiar group of people and surroundings can help us get back on our feet.
But most of the time?
As soon as we find ourselves in a “comfort zone,” we start dying inside because we’re no longer growing.
And humans don’t just stay stagnant.
If you’re not growing, you’re dying!
Enjoy these quotes on fear of the unknown as you learn to fight your own inner demons and fears.
1.”We do not fear the unknown. We fear what we think we know about the unknown.”
2. “We all have a fear of the unknown. What one does with that fear will make all the difference in the world.”
3. “People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar.”
4. “Fear can keep you up all night. But faith makes one fine pillow.”
5. “Most people talk about fear of the unknown, but if there is anything to fear, it is the known.”
6. “We do not have a fear of the unknown. What we fear is giving up the known.”
7. “Don’t fear the unknown. Embrace the opportunity. Failure is not permanent. It is the essence of learning.”
8. “Fear not the unknown. It is a sea of possibilities.”
9. “I don’t fear the unknown. I fear that what I do know is all that’s left.”
10. “If you look into your own heart, and you find nothing wrong there, what is there to worry about? What is there to fear?”
11. “The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.”
12. “Don’t let the fear of the unknown keep you from experiencing a life greater than you have ever known.”
13. “Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.”
14. “People need not fear the unknown if they are capable of achieving what they need and want.”
15. “Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering.”
16. “My only fear is the unknown.”
17. “You can’t stop being afraid just by pretending everything that scares you isn’t there.”
18. “Don’t give in to your fears. If you do, you won’t be able to talk to your heart.”
19. “Being brave isn’t the absence of fear. Being brave is having that fear but finding a way through it.”
20. “Don’t fear the unknown. Embrace the opportunity. Failure is not permanent, it is the essence of learning.”
21. “People are usually afraid of change because they fear the unknown, but the single greatest constant of history is that everything changes.”
22. “The fear of an unknown never resolves, because the unknown expands infinitely outward.”
23. “It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more.”
24. “Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.”
25. “People are supposed to fear the unknown, but ignorance is bliss when knowledge is so damn frightening.”
26. “Your greatest fears of created by your imagination. Don’t give in to them.”
27. “Extreme fear can neither fight nor fly.”
28. “Above all, don’t fear difficult moments. The best comes from them.”
29. “Humans are naturally scared and confused beings. They not only fear the unknown, as they live fearing themselves.”
For me, these quotes remind me of how I felt when I knew it was time to move on for a job I had had for 5 years.
While I was bored at the job and was no longer growing in the slightest, I was terrified of the unknown of what was to come after.
Whether it was working for myself or finding a new job with a company I wasn’t familiar with, everything would be different – the office, coworkers, the job itself. And that fear of the unknown prevented me for so many years from making that step.
In hindsight, as soon as I knew it was time to jump into the unknown, which was basically the second the job became a “comfort zone” rather than something that was helping me improve, I should have jumped.
The unknown is only the unknown for a short time, and then it becomes our next comfort zone.
A major technique people use to break through temporary fear of the unknown is to count yourself down.
Start from whatever number you want, add a “go” on the end if you want, but you have to take a deep breath, and tell yourself that at the end of the countdown, you’re just going to leap.
Maybe it means you’re going to zoom down that ski run that you’ve never been on before, maybe it means you’re going to walk into your bosses office and quit, maybe it means you’re going to book that international flight.
Whatever it is, use this inspiration to get over your fear of the unknown to embrace life and all of the possibilities it holds.