Fear is life’s biggest obstacle.
In these amazing quotes about fear, you’re going to be confronted with your own assumptions about fear and you’ll be inspired to finally get up, face those silly things that scare you, and be brave in how you live your life.
From fear of the unknown quotes to fear of failure quotes to quotes about having no fear to quotes about being fearless, there are so many different ways to talk about fear and how we deal with it as humans.
And if you do feel fears, it’s okay!
The idea isn’t that you’ll never have a fear in your entire life, which would only be possible if you’re a robot.
The idea is that you’ll learn how to face your fears and be courageous in spite of them.
From the early days of being human, we had to have fear of things like the unknown to fight for our survival and not just dive first into literal murky ocean waters.
But today, so much of the world is mapped out and the real fear comes from what we do in our personal lives.
The fear of breaking up because you will miss the security of having someone there.
The fear of starting a new job because what if your new coworkers don’t like you?
The fear of starting over because you were comfortable with what you had.
Use these fear quotes to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and go out in the world ready to not waste a second on the things that scare you, instead putting all of your energy into the hope and possibility of all of the positive things that could happen.
Looking for a Book on fear?
This is the best book I’ve ever read about conquering your fears, called “Fear is a Choice.”
Fear of the Unknown Quotes
Check out these quotes on the fear of the unknown to help encourage yourself to not worry so much about what’s on the “other side” of whatever you’re worried about.
We spend so much time trying to figure out exactly what’s going to happen, without acknowledging that every second past the one you’re currently in now is unknown.
People often think things like 9 to 5 jobs are known, and working for yourself is unknown.
But there’s no guarantee that your job won’t let you go, that your industry won’t collapse, that your boss won’t leave and promote the world’s worst boss that makes your life miserable.
And sure, your relationship that you’re not happy in might be a “known” quantity, but what would happen if you let that go and instead found someone way better who actually fit with you?
Why would you let your fear of the unknown keep you from moving on?
1. “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not the one who does not feel afraid, but the one who conquers that fear. “
2. “Men go to far greater lengths to avoid what they fear than to obtain what they desire.”
3. “Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood.”
4. “There is no illusion greater than fear.”
5. “Your largest fear carries your greatest growth.”
6. “Don’t let your fear of what could happen make nothing happen.”
7. “There’s no shame in fear, my father told me, what matters is how we face it.”
8. “Never let your fear decide your future. “
9. “Do one thing every day that scares you.”
10. “Fear is not real, it is the product of thoughts you create. Danger is very real, but fear is a choice.”
11.” We do not fear the unknown. We fear what we think we know about the unknown.”
No Fear Quotes
Use these quotes about no fear to help you really get in that mindset of getting rid of your fears, or at least carrying on in spite of them.
Again, “no fear” doesn’t mean you’re never scared of anything, it just means you approach your life in such a way that means you’re shrugging off those fears and choosing to face life regardless.
This is a great mantra to repeat to yourself when you’re in a particularly scary situation, like if you’re afraid of public speaking and have to stand up on stage in front of everyone.
Use some of these quotes about fear to have on a loop in your head, forcefully telling yourself that you have no fear, that you are fearless, that you can do anything.
12. “Everything you want is on the other side of fear.”
13. “Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.”
14. “Fear is an idea-crippling, experience-crushing, success stalling inhibitor inflected only by yourself.”
15. “We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.”
16. “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
17. “The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you. Depend on no one, only the moment you reject all help are you freed.”
18. “If you look into your own heart, and you find nothing wrong there, what is there to worry about? What is there to fear?”
19. “Never let your fear decide your future.”
20. “Fear kills more dreams than failure ever will.”
21. “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.”
22. “Please do not feed the fears.”
23. “Fear is temporary. Regret is forever.”
24. “Fear does not stop death. It stops life.”
25. “Feel the fear. Do it anyway.”
26. “Everything you want is on the other side of fear.”
27. “There’s no fear when you’re having fun.”
Fear of Failure Quotes
People who are afraid of failure are missing every single opportunity that comes their way because they’re not even bothering to try.
When you cower from failure, you reject the idea that failure is a natural part of life, and that is so, so dangerous.
It is impossible for us to go through life without failing. That’s what it means to be human.
You will have an idea that doesn’t work, a project that falls through, a relationship that doesn’t work out.
You cannot have a perfect batting average in life, and accepting that rather than just never swinging is one of the most important things you can do when it comes to living a life that you don’t regret.
I just love what these quotes say about the fear of failure killing more dreams than failure ever will.
Something to think about.
28. “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.”
29. “Fear being in the exact same place next year as you are today.”
30. “It is not failure itself that holds you back: it is the fear of failure that paralyzes you.”
31. “Your dream doesn’t have an expiration date. Take a deep breath and try again.”
32. “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.”
33. “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
34. “Fear regret more than failure.”
35. “Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.”
36. “Don’t fear failure. Not failure but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.”
37. “Don’t be afraid to fail. Be afraid not to try.”
38. “There is no failure except in no longer trying.”
39. “Don’t fear failure. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have.”
40. “Is your fear of failure greater than your desire to succeed?
41. “Don’t fear failure. Let failure fear you.”
42. “I didn’t fear failure. I expected failure.”
43. “To be ready to fail is to be prepared for success.”
44. “Fear stops a lot of people. Fear of failure, of the unknown, of risk. And it masks itself as procrastination.”
45. The one who falls and gets up is stronger than the one who never tried.”
46. “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work”
47. “Fear is a detour, not a dead-end street.”
48. “Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm”
49. “Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out.”
50. “Don’t let your fear of what could happen make nothing happen.”
51. “What is the point of being alive if you don’t at least try to do something remarkable?”
52. “Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.”
53. “Fear of failure must never be a reason not to try something.”
54. “I don’t want the fear of failure to stop me from doing what I really care about.”
55. “Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another stepping stone to greatness.”
56. “The biggest threat to creativity is fear, especially the fear of failure.”
Overcoming Fear Quotes
We can talk about fear all of the time, but addressing the fear and talking about overcoming the fear are two different things.
How do we overcome the fear of people’s judgments, of our failures, of the unknown?
These quotes about overcoming fear are going to give you the tools you need to get over that hump and move from someone who is terrified of everything to someone who is standing on the other side, wondering why they were so worried.
For some people, this is an instantaneous choice – you decide in a moment that your fears are holding you back and you release them.
For others, this is a lifelong journey that involves taking action and forcing yourself into uncomfortable situations until you feel like you’ve overcome your fears.
It could mean that you have to ski down that black run 10 times before you totally overcome the fear of doing it, but no matter how long it takes you, make sure to write some of these quotes down and keep them in a safe place when you need some encouragement.
57. “Do not be afraid, our fate cannot be taken from us, it is a gift.”
58. “Fear has a large shadow, but he himself is small.”
59. “Fears are nothing more than a state of mind.”
60. “FEAR: False Evidence Appearing Real”
61. “The fears we don’t face become our limits.”
62. “Being brave isn’t the absence of fear. Being brave is having that fear but finding a way through.”
63. “Instead of worrying about what people say of you, why not spend time trying to accomplish something they will admire?”
64. “Thinking will not overcome fear, but action well.”
65. “Extreme fear can neither fight nor fly.”
66. “Courage is knowing what not to fear. “
67. “People living deeply have no fear of death.”